Mar 2, 2010

Kalgudi of Degulahalli & Parshwanath of Kasamalagi

A short drive from Devgaon is Degulahalli. Village people guided me to Kalgudi ...a Shiva temple in ruins. The temple's on the village outskirts, beyond it is just fields.

This is the door frame of Antharala, the vestibule connecting the Sabha Mantapa and Garbhagudi.


The decoration in front of the Garbhagudi. This is like a permanent rangoli.


Seems like an ascetic.. wondering if that's the head dress or hair tied like that.


The temple's side view.


I climbed up to the terrace to get a better view of the lion faced sculpture. It's a wonderful piece of art work Nataraja with ten hands. The lion face has a real scary look.




I remember seeing characters like this this in movies and video games.


This is the side entrance. The sloped canopy is a standard design for Kadamba temples. Since this region received heavy rainfall, sloping roofs have a purpose, to let water run off and land away from the walls.


This is the rear side, in ruins.

A 3 feet tall Basavanna facing the Shivalinga. Of all the Nandis I've seen all are calves except for this one. This is clearly a grown up ox.


A beam with floral and columns motifs.

Stones throw away is the Madivaleshwara Matha, Locals said that Madivaleswara of Garag established this Matha.


I happened to meet one of the locals and was offered tea. We had tea together at the Matha. I happened to notice that Jain community makes up a good percentage of the population in this region. I bid bye to my hosts - Jinappa Majgavi, Shankrayya Hiremut and his son. There was another person Sunil Bajannavar who had to leave on some urgent work. I drove towards Kasamalgi.


Kasamalgi is about 6km from Degulahalli. I was expecting to see a large statue but to my surprise it was a small one ...about three feet tall. The statue was found buried at... not sure if it's Devgoan or Kittur. It seems the worker digging away happened to hit the buried statue and the pickaxe bounced off with a loud noise. Work was stopped and the statue was discovered. Later it was installed at a small temple located in one of the narrow lanes of Kasamalgi.


I tried all possible angles to get a decent shot... Anyway, I saw the statue with my own eyes. One has to see the statue in real. I have no words to describe it.


From here I went towards Bidi, my next destination was Halasi.
.........

3 comments:

Casey said...

Sad that ASI hasn't taken up this monument for protection yet!

siddeshwar said...

Good news Casey. Somewhere between 2011 and the beginning of 2021, this temple has been repaired. I guess the temple has been restored to its original form.

siddeshwar said...

Do check out the new post on Kalgudi of Degulahalli.