Nov 15, 2010

Sogal

How does it feel to be visiting a place again after 25 years?

I had cherished memories of my visit to Sogal with my mom, brother, granny, cousins, uncles and aunts during my high school days. I liked the hilly terrain, the trees, the little stream playing it's way down the hill creating three waterfalls. I particularly remembered a rock shaped like a little chair. I could actually sit on it. I was hoping to see it.


Chetan and I decided to have breakfast and then... Half a dozen restaurants were open for the day. We checked out one and the owner, a young guy was stuck to chair busy watching TV not even willing to move at the sight of customers. Forget it. We moved over to Someswara Restaurant...


...you can see for yourself how busy the little place looks. We had uppit and tea.


This pestle and mortar caught our attention.


The short climb up, statues are plenty here, we were shooting them, these three ladies passed us. As I aimed my camera at them they pulled up their saree pallu to cover their heads.


Nandi flanked by Lord Shiva and Parvati.


That's a double statue of Lord Shiva overlooking the waterfall.


Everything's green...


At the top, I could see the changes, the place had changed so much and I did not like these changes. It's not just the concrete that put me off ...the place was one big mess ...plastic bags and clothes strewn all over.


I remember playing under this waterfall.


just like the boys in the water. Look carefully there are two right under the water.


Inside the Shri Somanatha Mukhya Devastana


it's a lovely ancient temple with a touch of modern insensitiveness ...vandalism in the name of development.


A hero stone with Halagannada inscription. Thank heavens, these guys did not think of painting this too.


With little effort one could probably read the inscription.



We climbed up the hill following the path. The place was unrecognizable. We saw few peacocks here. This is another ancient temple... you can guess what's going on in my mind by now.


The inside wall was covered by paintings of well known saints of North Karnataka, a few Hindu Gods and Bedara Kannappa.


We got bitten by few mosquitoes. We decided to head back down. I wished local people clean up this place and people visitors help maintain cleanliness. A far cry. I said hello to these two little twins in green and pink.


Just before I got back into the car I noticed this little fellow making a big show of reading and writing. He made my morning.


Bye Sogal.

.........

1 comment:

Manjula Umesh said...

Recently we visited Sogal, saw a small temple of Shiva Parvati, beside the temple of Someshwar. cldnt find out its new one or ancient ( got confused bcos i cldnt remember anything abt it frm your blog, checked the post again returning frm Dwd) I liked the place, waterfall & temple of Shiv -Parvati I felt its unique one.. bcos wont remember statue of both together. My aunt told it is the speciality of the place that they are pictured as newly married couple, dressed in Basingha( shiva) ,Dandi (Parvati wearing on her head) saw pics of deity in which for first time I saw Lord Shiva with moustache .. :)