Sep 6, 2010

Ramakrishna Ashram, Belgaum

August 22, 2010

My first visit to Belguam's Ramakrishna Ashram. I'd visited Bangalore ashram several times. The same peaceful ambiance can be experienced in both Ashram. This is the main meditation hall.


I was about to climb the steps an aged person sitting there told me to visit the tiled house first and then go up to the meditation hall.


Swami Vivekananda stayed here for nine days in 1892, from October 19th to October 27th.


Once inside I was surprised to see a life size statue of Swami Vivekananda. As you see it seems so real. An elderly person was meditating. I took pictures silently and went out quickly ...my cell phone was not in silent mode and one can never say when those things start ringing.




Amazing talent of the artist who created the murthy.


The meditation hall looked neat & tidy. Three pictures at the inner end of the hall- Ramakrishna Paramahamsa in the middle, Sharada Devi to the right and Swami Vivekananda to the left. A monk had just started pooja. There were three other visitors in the hall.


I spent couple of minutes. I had to rush back to my relatives waiting at the Durgadevi temple at Belgaum Kote entrance.

I went down the steps, went past the book-store in the ground floor and back towards the gate. Like Bangalore's Ashram, this ashram too has a well maintained garden.


Wish to come here when ever I visit Belgaum again.

Within Belgaum fort is another historic monument - Kamala Basti, a Jain temple with mirror finish turned pillars.

.........

5 comments:

Andhra Pradesh Sanskrit Lecturers' Association said...

Dear Siddheshwar ji,

These are really wonderful photos.
How Nice these are.
I accept your words completely.
I Wish I will not forget to visit the Ashrama whenever I go to Belgaum.

If you give us permission, we would like to use the photo of Swami Vivekananda for the propogation of Vivekananda's idealogy.

Thank You Very Much.

Srinivasa Krishna
Convener
AndhraPradesh Sanskrit Lecturers' Association

siddeshwar said...

Hello Srinivasa Krishna ji, please feel free to use the image and please do quote the source of the image. Good wishes to your endeavor.

Sumana said...

I feel proud that Swami Vivekananda visited our state. Mr Siddeshwar, you are doing a wonderful job with your blog, thank you for the information along with pictures that you share with us

siddeshwar said...

Sumana, indeed its a matter to be proud about. His journey towards south continues...

Swami Vivekananda traveled from Belagavi to Bengaluru and stayed at Kallappa Choultry in Majestic area. During his stay there, he used to sit on this stone bench. The choultry owners handed over the stone bench to Ramakrishna Ashram in 1997.

Holy Mother Sarada Devi stayed at Ramakrishna Ashram, Basavangudi from 24th to 27th March, 1911. She used to sit on this rock for Dhyana.

Do read the blog post on Mata Sarada's rock & Swami Vivekananda's bench at Ramakrishna Ashram, Basavangudi.

Thank you.

Sumana said...

Mr Siddeshwar, thank u for enlightening us about him, will definitely check your post about Mata Saradas rock